Dichotomy at The Cross
Now that I am a Christian and attempting to live my life in
a different manner, I am fascinated by the amount of alternative opinions that exists regarding faith, religion, and particularly Heaven; who gets in and who doesn’t. It seems to me that most people don’t truly
spend the necessary time investigating this component of their lives, and that
their conclusions come more from a lack of passion and/or diligence for the truth
rather than the actual knowledge associated with learning of and knowing the
truth. Of course, the very question and
source of truth can be the fulcrum whereby the balance shifts from one side or the
other. Just take a look at what Jesus
says about truth in the book of John:
John 8:31-32 … So Jesus said to the Jews who had
believed in him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you
will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”This will be the tone and tenner of my message today; an attempt to simply (from my perspective anyway) the most important question we all have as humans. What will determine our legacy and what will determine our eternity? I am going to use the most impactful moment of all time as the background of this message; Christ on The Cross. But first, let me talk about where I believe this dichotomy originates.
One thing that has elevated for me since I became a Christian
is my awareness of the way Christians deliver their message of truth as well as
the relationship between what they say and how they live their lives. The fact is that most of the non-belief I
have seen stems from a perception of delivery from so-called Christians; where
the message often gets diluted pursuant to their mechanisms and style of
delivery. There are hypocrites in all
walks of life; but this is the one thing God hates the most. People who say one thing and then do another. We have ALL been there, and I am no different
than you. I have first-hand experience
with being a hypocrite, even after I’ve become a Christian. However, making mistakes is one thing but
taking a hypocritical stance is another. What I mean by that is I have been in and have
overheard conversations from believers to non-believers; trying to push the
point home so hard that they basically tell people things like: “I am going to
Heaven and you are going to hell because I am a Christian and you are not.” Nothing could be further from Christianity
that that line of delivery. The fact is
that none of us can possible know the fate of another; only God knows. Here is what is written in The Bible; the
best source of truth.
Zechariah 8:16 These are the things that you shall
do: Speak the truth to one another; render in your gates judgments that are
true and make for peace;We are not here to judge others for what they do. As true Christians, we are to communicate the truth as we believe it, in an attempt to draw others and advance the Kingdom of God. And we do that through honesty, truth, open communication, and mostly through love. The two very basic components of our faith; to love our God above all else and to love others as God loves them. Not very easy sometimes; right? Just because I believe that I am going to Heaven because of my faith, I have no idea what will happen to you. My prayer, especially for those who I love and those I am close to (which includes everyone reading this message today) is that you are also saved, believe in Jesus Christ….and that we will get to see each other after this life is over. And there is one thing for certain, THIS life here on earth will end; for EVERYONE. There is no hiding from that truth. Stop for a minute….right now….and think long and hard on that simple premise. Where will you go when you are done here? In the ground to rot, come back as someone and something else, move into some sort of elevated state? Or will it be in a place much worse? Now, just imagine another more pure and beautiful place. This place called Heaven; where you can live for ever and ever…..with God….and with all of your loved ones who have committed their lives to Christ. Now, do I know this to be true? In my opinion, YES…this is my truth!! If I believe The Word of God, than I must believe this, I do not have a choice…..I’ve already made my choice. It’s crystal clear in the book of John:
John 14:6 “Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the
life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,
that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”John 17:3 “Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.”
I
spent so many years searching for something, searching for meaning to my
life. Mostly, I ignored and avoided
conversations about faith, religion, legacy, and eternity. Well, that’s not entirely true, I would talk
often about legacy and impacting others…..but mostly for personal recognition
and to boost my ego. Heck, to be
perfectly honest, life then seemed way easier that it does now. Living as a Christian, having a deeper sense
of self and of sin, and always trying to do the right thing is flat-out exhausting. I'm still learning and have still not perfected the art of making the best decision in every situation, but it's definitely not the result of a lack of desire and/or effort. Living the other way was so much easier. But if I stayed on that path, I couldn’t
write what I write now. I couldn’t stand
convicted, not afraid to speak what I believe to be the truth. Not worried about being cast out and potentially losing friends by talking and writing about Christ. I used to want (need) everyone’s approval.
Is that still important to me?
Yes, I think everyone wants approval.
But now I seek my approval through Christ. Do I fall?
Do I sin? Do I constantly question
myself and my path? Yes, which makes us very similar, right? It’s called being
human. The Apostle Paul (my favorite in The Bible next to Christ)
says this with such clarity in this verse:
Romans
7:15-20 - I do not understand what I
do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I
do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I
myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does
not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what
is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but
the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not
want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does
it.
This
is why we ALL need a Savior. Because we
will fall, and when we do; who will be there to pick us up? Trust me, I know
from personal experience, individually we are NOT strong enough. To this day, when circumstances dictate, I still isolate and try and do
things on my own. But it almost never
bears fruit and fall back into sin and despair.
But with Christ, we can live like a trapeze artist that has a safety net
below to catch us when we fall. This
is what I believe in now, my help comes from God. He knows when and how I’m going to sin, but
He is always there to lift me up. He
knows I believe in Him, He knows that I follow Him, and He knows that He is
Lord of my life. And that matters more
than anything.
Which
brings me back full circle to the point of this message, the dichotomy of
faith. I use the term dichotomy because,
in the end, it really boils down to a decision to go one way or the other. You can choose life eternal, or you can
choose something else……two choices….the ultimate dichotomy of life. One of most
precious gifts from God is free will.
You see, He wants us to come to him with pure hearts, to make our own
choice to follow Him. And it can happen in
a second. There is no secret pill, no secret
sauce, series of prayers, or any measure of good works that will get you to
Heaven. There is only one way; to hand
over your heart to Christ:
Romans 10:9-11 “If you declare with your
mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the
dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and
are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are
saved. As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.”
This is the most amazing truth and the most awesome gift that has ever or will ever exist. You see, it is free. Why? Because when Jesus died on the cross he said it was FINISHED. Which means He paid for our sins. He paid for them then and He pays for them now. He wants you to come to Him and accept this gift. All you have to do is read the scripture above, pray where you are right now and ask Christ to enter your heart and turn your life over to Him. That’s it.
This is the most amazing truth and the most awesome gift that has ever or will ever exist. You see, it is free. Why? Because when Jesus died on the cross he said it was FINISHED. Which means He paid for our sins. He paid for them then and He pays for them now. He wants you to come to Him and accept this gift. All you have to do is read the scripture above, pray where you are right now and ask Christ to enter your heart and turn your life over to Him. That’s it.
To clearly and ultimately illustrate
the point and the truth of my message, let me take you back to that incredible day. The day Jesus was crucified there were two
major criminals on each side of Him, also both hanging on a cross
awaiting sure death. But they had very
two separate stances on Jesus as it clearly states in the following scripture:
Luke
23:32-43 Two others also, who were
criminals, were being led away to be put to death with Him. When they came to
the place called The Skull, there they crucified Him and the criminals, one on
the right and the other on the left. But Jesus was saying, "Father,
forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing." And they cast
lots, dividing up His garments among themselves. And the people stood by,
looking on. And even the rulers were sneering at Him, saying, "He saved
others; let Him save Himself if this is the Christ of God, His Chosen
One." The soldiers also mocked Him, coming up to Him, offering Him sour
wine, and saying, "If You are the King of the Jews, save Yourself! “Now
there was also an inscription above Him, "THIS IS THE KING OF THE
JEWS." One of the criminals who were hanged there was hurling abuse at
Him, saying, "Are You not the Christ? Save Yourself and us!" But the
other answered, and rebuking him said, "Do you not even fear God, since
you are under the same sentence of condemnation? “And we indeed are suffering
justly, for we are receiving what we deserve for our deeds; but this man has
done nothing wrong." And he was saying, "Jesus, remember me when You
come in Your kingdom! “And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you
shall be with Me in Paradise."This is perhaps the most amazing story in the entire Bible, although there are many. Christ was nailed to a cross, was experiencing unbelievable physical pain, yet He still expressed His unwavering forgiveness and love. He had the compassion to listen to the plea of one who had great need and He made the effort push aside His own pain to answer the prayer of a sinner. He promised that man, on that very day, that He would be with Jesus in Paradise. He did the same for me when I asked him into my heart in Durham, NC on July 15th 2010, and He will do the same for you. Right now, if you want. If any of this stirs you up and makes you curious, my door is open always; you can call me anytime to discuss. 919-667-7224. Nothing would honor me more that to talk with you about Christ, and nothing would honor Him more than for you to hand your life over the Him.
I will close with this premise. Did you ever watch the show Lets Make a Deal? Well there are 2 doors; door number 1 or door
number 2. YOU get to choose!!! Which will
it be?
Peace and Love…..Tony
Comments
Post a Comment